Makes 3-4 servings
3/4 cup chia seeds
1/3 cup of hemp hearts
1 cup of nut milk
1 cup of coconut cream or milk
1 3/4 cup of filtered water
2 tsp of pure vanilla
optional cinnamon and lemon zest
1. Pour the nut milk, coconut cream and water into a sauce pan.
2. Place on the stove and turn your element to medium heat.
3. Add the chia seeds and hemp hearts to the mixture and let it heat up.
4. Once the mixture is hot, stir regularly so that the chia seeds don't clump.
5. It should take about 10 min of stirring and rising heat for the porridge to look more like a pudding texture.
6. Turn the heat off and let the pan sit for about 10 min - this will help the texture to thicken and the chia seeds to become very soft.
7. Just before you are ready to eat, stir in the vanilla and sprinkle with cinnamon and lemon zest
8. Pour your favorite non-dairy milk on top of your porridge and enjoy!
9. Add any healthy thing that you'd like to your porridge: apples, raisins, nuts, seeds, etc.
I like to make a toppings stir fry for my kids and this is what we do to top the chia porridge.
I take pumpkin seeds, pecans, chopped dates and apples and sauté them in some olive oil until warm and until the apples are just a little bit soft. I drizzle a tiny bit of maple syrup and sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg on the toppings. Then I dish up a portion of the porridge and scoop about 1/4 cup of the toppings and place it on top of the porridge.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 44 g||67 %|
|Saturated Fat 16 g||80 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 19 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 93 mg||4 %|
|Potassium 401 mg||11 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 14 g||5 %|
|Dietary Fiber 13 g||50 %|
|Sugars 2 g|
|Protein 15 g||30 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||5 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Posted October 21, 2023